Yellow Ribbon (Non-Resident) Scholarship
As of Spring 2016, the University of Mississippi is an unlimited Yellow Ribbon School. Yellow Ribbon is a VA program that helps those students with 100% VA benefit, pay the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition. The student’s VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) will determine if they are qualified for Yellow Ribbon. For specific information, read more regarding the Yellow Ribbon Scholarship, or contact Ms. Ann Margaret Compton at email@example.com.
Military/Dependent Non-Resident Scholarship
Non-resident students who are using GI bill benefits, but who are not qualified for Yellow Ribbon, will be qualified for the Military/Dependent Non-Resident Scholarship. As long as they are using the GI Bill when they begin classes, the student will be eligible to receive this scholarship (that will cover the entire non-resident fee) for as long as they remain continuously enrolled and in good academic standing, even if they run out of GI Bill benefits. For more specific information regarding this scholarship, contact Ms. Ann Margaret Compton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional Scholarship Information
While the non-resident scholarships is the only “military-specific” scholarship offered by Ole Miss, you can contact the Office of Financial Aid for information regarding other scholarships you may qualify for or look here: UM Financial Aid. For information regarding other “military” scholarships, you can access the Affordable Colleges website (not affiliated with UM) here: Scholarships and Financial Aid for Military and Veterans
VA Educational Benefits
Veteran and Military Services provides student support services to veterans, military and and eligible dependents. Our office strives to ensure services that enable our military students to focus on their education goals. Our office works closely with other departments on campus to provide as many resources as possible.
- VA Payment information
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Steps to follow to become eligible
Tuition Assistance (TA) Educational Benefits
Students wishing to use tuition assistance must get approval from their specific military command. TA cannot be used in conjunction with other VA benefits, to pay for the same class. If students have questions about using VA benefits and TA benefits, contact Veteran and Military Services for clarification. Students should also be aware that use of tuition assistance benefits can affect the Financial Aid package. If students have questions about the financial aid package, they should be directed to the Office of Financial Aid to determine any possible issues.
Student are responsible to upload their required documents to their military commands for TA approval. Once approved, students should inform Veteran and Military Services of any changes to classes submitted (add/drop). TA will not be billed until approx 19% of the semester is completed (per military policy), so payment will be later in the semester. Students should budget accordingly. Once the semester is complete, grades will be submitted to DOD by Veteran and Military Services. The student will be responsible to their command if there is a class failure or discrepancy that results in repayment.
- Go Army Ed Instructions for using TA
- Mississippi NG Instructions for TA and Statement of Understanding
- Go Army Ed Portal (Sign up for Army Tuition Assistance)
- Center for Student Success and FYE (CSSFYE)
- All first-year Freshman or Transfers are assigned Academic Advisors at CSSFYE (for most majors)
- Veteran and Military Services also works to provide educational support services by teaching students how to track their own progress. We provide 4 year advising sheets for students using GI Bill benefits, and students can use these sheets to determine which classes to sign up for each semester, before seeing their advisor. Note: Course Requirements are subject to change at any time. Ensure you consult your academic advisor and/or department each semester.
- Student Veterans Of America (Ole Miss Chapter): working to continually improve services for student veterans
- Assist veterans on how to navigate issues or concerns
- Student Counseling Center has dedicated veteran hours for walk-in appointments
- 10 week Mindfulness Training for Veterans (approved by VA) each semester