skip to main content

    I’ve heard that Veterans and Dependents are eligible for in-state tuition based on previous laws that were passed. Is that true?

    *Qualifying Veterans, Military and Dependents will be eligible to receive a scholarship (Non-Resident or Yellow Ribbon) that will cover the non-resident fee to offset the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition costs. Ole Miss is also an unlimited Yellow Ribbon school for qualifying dependents.

    *To determine qualifications, see below:

    –        Honorably discharged Veterans (verified by DD214) are granted in-state tuition for all degrees pursued (undergraduate, graduate and professional), by virtue of honorable service. The non-resident fee will be covered by a Veteran Non-Resident Scholarship or the Yellow Ribbon, whichever applies.

    –        Current Military can be granted in-state tuition in the following cases:  Active Duty members stationed in Mississippi, Mississippi National Guard members (regardless of state residence) that are actively drilling in a Mississippi unit, and members of other state National Guard and Reservists who are using GI Bill benefits.

    –        Dependents are eligible for the Dependent Non-Resident Scholarship or Yellow Ribbon Scholarship, if they are using transferred Post 9-11 GI Bill benefits. This GI Bill entitlement will be verified by a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA. If approved, dependents will be granted the Dependent Non-Resident Military Scholarship or Yellow Ribbon (whichever applies) to cover the non-resident cost. Dependents will remain eligible for the scholarship as long as they are continuously enrolled and maintain good academic standing, even if they run out of GI Bill benefit.

    Contact Veteran and Military Services at 662-915-2854 or email, for more information.

    What forms are required for me to receive my VA Educational Benefits?

    Visit our Required Documents page for all of the information you will need about the forms.

    How often do I need to complete the UM VA Term Approval Form?

    The UM VA Term Approval Form must be completed each semester of enrollment. Please submit your upcoming enrollment certification directly to Veteran and Military Services.

    I’ve been asked to produce my Certificate of Eligibility (COE) for the School Certifying Official. What is the COE and how do I get one?

    The VA Certificate of Eligibility is the document that verifies that you are entitled to VA Education benefits, what type they are and how much you can get. Before you begin filling out the online form, ensure you have your SSN (and parent’s SSN, if you are a dependent) and bank account information (for Direct Deposit purposes). Visit to apply.

    The most common forms used are:

    VA Form 22-1990: APPLICATION FOR VA EDUCATION BENEFITS (Veterans and Military, first time sign-up)


    VA Form 22-1995: REQUEST FOR CHANGE OF PROGRAM OR PLACE OF TRAINING (Veterans and Military, previous use)

    VA Form 22-5490: DEPENDENTS’ APPLICATION FOR VA EDUCATION BENEFITS (Dependents requesting CH33 FRY or CH35 DEA)

    After choosing the correct form, you will fill out the form and then submit it to the VA electronically. The address for the school is: University of Mississippi, PO Box 1848, Martindale Hall; Suite R, University, MS 38677-1848. It will take approximately 30-45 days for a Certificate of Eligibility to be mailed to your home of record. Contact Veteran and Military Services at 662-915-2854 or, for more information.

    I applied to Ole Miss as a Veteran, but was asked to verify my veterans status. How do I verify that and why is it important?

    If you applied as a veteran, your status may qualify you for certain VA and Financial Aid benefits. To ensure your status is correct, you’ll need to provide a scanned copy of your DD214 (Member 4), to Veteran and Military Services. You can email the DD214 to and the document will be uploaded to your student file. The VA Certifying Official and Financial Aid will refer to this student file to ensure they provide pertinent veterans information to you during your Orientation. As a Verified Admitted Veteran, you will also be eligible for Early Priority Registration each semester.

    How can I get a copy of my DD-214 if I need it?

    The Department of Veterans Affairs does not maintain records of veterans’ military service, except as necessary for providing benefits from the VA. To obtain or amend a copy of your military service record and/or your Official Military Personnel File (DD-214, OMPFs), please visit the website for the Military Personnel Records Center (MPRC) in St. Louis, which is part of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). If you have been discharged from military service, your personnel files are stored at NARA, which is the official repository for records of military personnel who have been discharged from the U.S. Air Force, Army, Marine Corps, Navy, and Coast Guard. Visit the NARA website.

    I’ve been out of school for some time. Do I need to take the ACT?

    You’ll need to check with Admissions for your specific case, but is recommended that you take the ACT prior to applying at Ole Miss. If you have already taken college classes, you might not need an ACT score, but clarify your status with Ole Miss Admissions. If you have not taken any college classes on Active Duty, you should see your Post/Base Education Center for more information on taking an ACT/SAT prior to Separation/Retirement. Like the ACT and SAT, you can also take the GRE for free on-post. Not taking the SAT/ACT does not disqualify anyone for admission to Ole Miss, but check with Admissions for specific information.

    How do I know what VA Education Benefits I qualify for?

    There are many different benefits. Please go to the VA Education Benefits ( website for details on these benefits and links to the appropriate sources. 

    What is the cost of attendance at Ole Miss?

    Cost of attendance for each degree

    Am I able to receive Financial Aid, if I also receive GI Bill benefits?

    You can receive financial aid in addition to your GI Bill benefits. Students are encouraged to apply for student financial aid to help off-set the cost of education, because federal and state veterans benefits sometimes do not cover the entire cost of a college education.When completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), veterans need to be aware of some special circumstances:

    • Federal veteran education benefits do not affect financial aid eligibility and are not considered income for federal student aid purposes.

    • State veteran education benefits are treated as a resource, not an income, for federal student aid purposes.

    • Non-educational veteran benefits must be included on the FAFSA as untaxed income.

    • Being admitted as a “Special Student” will disqualify you from any Federal Student Aid until you complete 12 hours and maintain a 2.0 GPA. At that time, you will be a full student and can then apply for FAFSA. This status does not affect your GI Bill benefits.

    Veteran status for student aid purposes is not necessarily the same as veteran status for VA purposes. National Guard and Reservists may not qualify automatically as independent students. Refer to the FAFSA instructions to determine if you qualify as a veteran for financial aid purposes.

    I’d like to determine if my military training will qualify for college credit, but I lost my Joint Services Transcript. How do I get another one?

    To get your military transcripts, you’ll need to visit the JST website. Once you’ve received them, you’ll need to contact the Office of Registrar at 662-915-7792. They are the office that evaluates all transcripts for college credit.

    I am using my GI Bill at another school, but I have been accepted to Ole Miss  and would like to use my benefit here. How do I make that happen?

    You can only use the GI Bill at one location at a time. To transfer the benefit to Ole Miss and begin using it here, you need to submit a VA 22-1995 (Request For Change of Program or Place of Training) to the VA.

    Once you have submitted the application, print a copy of the application and call Veteran and Military Services at 662-915-2854 for more instructions to transfer the benefit.

    I have applied for VA benefits, why haven’t I been paid?

    In order to receive your VA benefits you must submit all appropriate paperwork for each semester. Please visit our Required Documents Page to see all documents necessary for certification. Once the paperwork is submitted to us, the VA Certifying Official will verify your pending semester attendance with the VA to ensure that your book stipend and BAH are ready when you begin school. Tuition and fees will not be paid until the middle of the semester by the VA, after we have verified that you are attending classes and billed the VA appropriately.

    How are tuition and fees reported to the VA?

    No billing paperwork is submitted to the VA until after the 10th day of class. This allows the student to change their schedule as needed and ensure that all paperwork is accurate. The VA will normally take 30-45 days to process the paperwork and then pay the school. Because of this time frame, you will receive monthly bills from the UM Bursar stating that you have not paid your bill and that you have a hold placed on your account. Do not worry! As long as you’ve paid the portion of the bill that you’re responsible for (housing, meal plan, parking, etc.), once the VA does pay those holds will be lifted without penalty.

    How does the VA pay monthly housing allowance?

    The VA pays only for the time that you are enrolled in school. Each month is prorated based on the number of days you were a student for the previous month. The payment will be made the month following (ex. August will be paid in September, September paid in October, etc.). If you do not receive payment, call the VA at 1-888-442-4551. Press 1, then 0 for customer service. Remember that you must be enrolled for a minimum of 12 hours to be considered a full-time student.

    Why is my check for January, May, August and December less than other months?

    All months are prorated based on the number of days, for each month, that you are enrolled as a student. Your benefits start the day classes begin and stop the day they end. If you take summer classes, you only have to be enrolled in 12 hours (full summer, 1st summer, 2nd summer or combination of each, as long as it adds to 12) to receive your full benefits for that time.

    Do I have to verify my attendance to the VA each month?

    Students using Chapter 1606 or 1607 must verify their attendance each month they are enrolled in school. This will trigger your monthly payment. You can verify by phone (877) 823-2378 or online at VA WAVE.

    If my G.I. Bill runs out before the end of the semester, will it cover the rest of the semester?

    If you are a veteran who is eligible for the G.I. Bill at the start of a semester, then yes. Veterans will receive benefits for the entire semester. Dependents using their parents GI Bill will not be able to take advantage of this. Dependents should contact the VA to determine how many days they will have for their final semester of benefits, to discern what they may have to pay in tuition to cover any difference.

    I have changed my class schedule after I submitted a Term Approval Form. What do I need to do?

    You will need to fill out a new Term Approval Form and have it approved by your advisor. Once it is approved, please bring it to the VMS Office so we may update your certification.

    If I change my major or program of study, what do I need to do?

    Please visit for the forms needed after changing your major.

    How do I ensure that any financial aid is applied to my account?

    At the beginning of each semester, please stop by the Bursar Office to ensure that your financial aid (PELL, NRMS, etc.) has been applied to your account. They are located on the second floor of the Martindale Student Services Center.

    How long will my claim with the Department of Veterans Affairs take?

    Properly submitted forms can be processed in approximately 30-45 days. Billing for each semester will not start until after the 10th class day. 

    What is the Veteran Affairs website?

    What is the Mississippi Department of Veteran Affairs website?

    Are there private scholarships available for veterans?

    Yes, please refer to Grants and Scholarships information located on the Office of Financial Aid webpage.

    Who do I contact if my question is not answered here?

    Feel free to contact the Veterans and Military Services at 662-915-2045 or